FAQ for Bikes4work Scheme
- How much can I spend on my bike and accessories?
- Can I purchase the bike myself and give my employer the receipt for it?
No, bicycles and equipment must be purchased by your employer
- Can I purchase a new bike every year?
No, this Tax-free exemption can only be availed of once in a five year period by an employee or director.
- Do I own the bike straight away?
Yes. Ownership will be transferred when you receive your voucher.
- What happens if my bike is stolen or accidentally damaged?
As the bike belongs to you, it is your sole responsibility. You may avail of the One4all Bikes4work scheme, once in every 5 years.
- What happens if I change employer during the 12 months?
If you change employer during the 12 month payment period, your employer will deduct the fund as per agreement.
- Is there a minimum number of days that the bike must be used?
There is no minimum amount of days a bicycle should be used. However, the bicycle must be used mainly for journeys to and from work or between work places.
- Do I have to be a full time permanent employee to avail of this benefit?
You can be a full or part time employee to avail of this benefit so long as your employer agrees to participate.
- Can I bring my bike on a public transport system?
This depends on the public transport provider. Please contact the relevant provider for further details.
- How much can I save?
Savings depend on your personal Taxation. To get an approximate figure, please use our Bikes4work calculator on the home page, or see examples of how much you will save.
- Can I buy a bike for my son/daughter on the scheme?
No. The purpose of the scheme is to encourage employees to cycle to work.
- What happens if I injure myself and can’t cycle to work?
General allowances are made for unforeseen circumstances.
- What if my employer is not yet operating the scheme?
An employee cannot avail of this Tax-free benefit unless their employer is operating the scheme. Please contact your HR department to register your interest with One4all Bikes4work.
- Can I use my original quote from Halfords to get a bicycle for a family member, partner or friend?
No. The bike must be used by you, mainly for commuting to work.
When can I collect my bike?
Your bike will be built and sized to you in store, so that it is ready to use immediately. If it is in stock simply present your One4all Bikes4work voucher along with your original quote and a form of ID at your chosen Halfords store and you can take the bike home with you. If it is not in stock, you should request that your chosen bike is ordered in to the store.
- What if my bike is faulty?
Most bikes come with a 12 month warranty, which means, all issues that fall within this warranty will be either repaired or replaced by the retail store where you purchased you bike, whichever is more appropriate.
A bicycle and safety equipment can be purchased to the value of €1,000. Anything above €1,000 can be added to from personal funds.